Sunday, June 6, 2010

No Regrets

Once upon a time in a place long gone (and now NYU dorms) there was a girl who was trying to figure out what to do with her cameras. She didn't want to carry them around and make photographs in the street (how times have changed). She loved music, that good old-fashioned rock and roll music.

When people asked her what she did, she would say she shot rock and roll. Then they would say,  "oh, you're a groupie." 

Every single time.

And every single time I'd have to say "I'm not a groupie. I'm a photographer."

Somehow, that was what most people thought of female music photographers at the time, and I could name the photographers who gave us all such a wonderful reputation. (Don't ask, I won't tell)

So I felt there was a line I shouldn't cross. I was a professional photographer dammit,  and worked hard to make sure I was thought of in that way. I admit it, I crossed that line once really early on (nope, I won't tell you who), and maybe I came close a time or two, and I definitely had some good times with a record company guy I worked with (won't name names there either), but mostly I tried to separate love and work and I considered the musicians I photographed off limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All photos and text © sheri lynn behr unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.