Saturday, November 20, 2010

Don't Go Breakin' My Heart (Elton John)

I have to say that the musicians I met while working were always great. Maybe because I was female, maybe because I acted in a professional manner, maybe even because I was still obviously a fan, everyone was nice to me and I had no problems taking photos backstage or at parties, whether I was hired to be there or not. 


Elton John backstage in Central Park, 1977

Everyone, that is, but Elton John. One of my pictures of him performing onstage in Central Park had been published in Circus magazine, and not long after I was shooting a party he attended. In fact, I think the party was for Rocket Records, which was the label he founded. I happened to find myself standing next to him at one point, and mentioned the photograph in Circus. "I don't read that trash" he replied with a sneer as he walked away. I was sorry that he was gone when, with 20/20 hindsight, I came up with the perfect response. "Well excuse me for trying to keep you famous."

I have heard he's a nicer person now.



1 comment:

  1. "Well excuse me for trying to keep you famous."

    Love it, Sherry! Even if it's unsaid - - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

All photos and text © sheri lynn behr unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.