Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fame

I photographed a lot of rock and roll stars, but that wasn't all. All kinds of celebrities would show up backstage at concerts, or go to the parties thrown by the record companies. One of them was Jeff Conaway. He passed away this week after a long struggle with substance abuse. 




I don't know whether or not he was abusing drugs the night I shot this. It was the Seventies after all, but he seemed fine to me that night. And happy. Things were certainly going well in his career. This photo was taken at Xenon, at a party for Cerrone, the disco star. The woman is Rona Newton-John, sister of Olivia. They weren't married yet. Unlike many celebrities today, Jeff loved having his picture taken (at least back then)-- I have more from that party that haven't been scanned yet-- and he was a pleasure to shoot. It's so sad. 


Too many deaths lately.

2 comments:

  1. I just happened onto your site while doing a google image search on Jeff. I still don't want to believe it. I had a terrible crush on him as a kid. This is a sweet picture. Thanks for posting it. - Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seemed to be a really sweet guy when I met him. It all makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete

All photos and text © sheri lynn behr unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.